VISA & Residence Permit

Before coming to Denmark you need to find out whether you need a VISA and/or a residence permit, this will depend on your nationality: – Who Needs Visa?

If your country of residence requires a visa for you to enter Denmark and you plan to stay here for more than 3 months, you must apply for a residence permit prior to arriving in Denmark.

Where to file your application:

You can apply for a visa at any authorised Danish mission in your home country. These include the Danish Embassies and certain consulates abroad.

If you need more information about the Danish Immigration rules, visit the website of the Danish Immigration Service. You can also contact the nearest Danish embassy or consulate. – More about residence permits

If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, you can legally stay in Denmark for up to three months without having a residence permit.

If you want to stay longer, whether it is for school or work, you will need either a registration certificate (for EU/EEA citizens) or a residence card (for Swiss nationals).

How to get a registration certificate:

You get both the registration certificate and residence card at the Regional State Administration – ‘Statsforvaltningen’ – within three months of arriving in Denmark. Remember to bring your passport, two passport photos and your ‘Letter of Admission’ to your university.

Please remember that it can take up to three weeks to get the permit.
You need the permit in order to be able to get a CPR-number, so get this done early on and everything will be easier. – About EU residence

Nordic citizens (Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland) do not need a visa or registration certificates for living, studying and working in Denmark.

Nordic citizens do need to get a Danish CPR number.

Citizen Registration & CPR